I review mostly books, but am open to products, food, movies, music and live shows. Below you can read my guidelines for products and books.
Please note that I am now in a PhD program and my reviews are significantly down during the semesters. Thank you for your patience!
I will always let my readers know if you pitch me something to review.
- Don't expect a positive review. If your book doesn't connect with me, I'll say so.
- I like to consider myself an expert on women in science studies, a lover of feminist science fiction, and a seeker of feminist and/or cute children's books. I also love biographies, Latina-centric and thinking mama-lit books. Essentially, anything feminist is fair game.
- I don't want to try reviewing self-help books. I still haven't read Gloria Steinem's self-help book and it's on my book shelf.
- I get more pitches than I can respond to, so if I am interested in your book, I will respond as soon as I can. I love that so many authors and publishers are reaching out to me and other book bloggers, so I am sorry that more often than not, a non-response from me means I'm not interested. I'm sure you understand.
- I will NOT publicize any product without testing it out first. Yes, even products that give a portion to charity;
- I do not promise a positive review by accepting your product for review;
- I will not slam your product on this blog unless I feel like not saying something would be harmful;
- I don't review products for: diet/weight loss, sex or anything that promises to make me or my readers younger;
- If you want me to plug your event, it should be something that relates to this blog;
- If you want me to plug your travel event, I won't...unless you're offering a free trip so I can write a review.
- If you want me to plug anything that costs my readers anything, you do need to offer me a sample to review it - home goods, music, travel, training, etc. I don't want to endorse anything that I can't hold, touch and test out.
So if you think your product/event is right for this blog, do drop me a line! I especially love to promote indie-made items.
Please note that due to the level of pitches I receive on a daily basis, I cannot reply to all of them. If I am interested in your information, I will contact you.
Thanks for your understanding.
To reach me, please send an email to veronica[dot]arreola @ gmail.com. Please do NOT send email to my work address. They're very cool about things, but I do work for the state and do not want to get email for this blog at work. Thank you so much!
Feedback about my reviews:
"What a fantastic review! I mean that, it's exactly what I look for from internet reviewers who aren't constrained by corporate interests. (bad review or good). Your opinions and those of your commenters are strong and passionate, which is the truth surrounding this issue. And I'm glad the book has, and is, receiving your scrutiny. I do look forward to working with you again, thanks Veronica!"
Tony Viardo / BlueDot Literary, LLC
"Girl Power: The Nineties Revolution in Music, by Marisa Meltzer, has been on my Wishlist ever since Veronica of Viva la Feminista reviewed it earlier this year."
Florinda / 3R's Blog