What to get that (really) young feminist in your life
The gift giving season is here! All the big stores have their catalogs out, the commercials are running non-stop, and Santa's waiting line is longer than the Hannah Montana ticket line. But here you are, burnt out on princess garb, too scared to buy anything from China, and frankly out of ideas for the girl (or boy!) who has everything. Look no further than Veronica's Gift Giving Guide for (Really) Young Feminists:
- Sticker Sisters: This awesome website offers all the necessities for nurturing the radical feminist in your daughter, niece, or little sister. Sticker Sisters carries t-shirts that fit babies and us aging-young feminists and plenty of gift packs to choose from (Is she a rocker, a writer, or a brave girl?). You can even get your gifts boxed in environmentally friendly boxes. I've met Ariel, who runs this creation, and she is one awesome woman. Each time I see her, she has her mom AND grandmother sitting at the table selling shoe laces & stickers.
- The Feminist Majority Store: They currently (as of 12/4) feature staff picks for gifts for girls including the Dreamland CD (which I think Santa should bring for my daughter), feminist tees, and The Girls' Guide to Life, a book for girls ages 8-14.
- The Willie Mae Rock Camp for Girls has cute tees, calendars, and performances on DVD for the lil Joan Jett you're raising.
- The NOW Store has a whole section of girls items or items for you who are raising girls and feminist boys.
- There is also the "no gifts" route if that's your cup of tea. Donate to local girl-centric organizations like the Chicago Foundation for Women, Girls Rock! Chicago, Young Women's Empowerment Project, or to the Chicago Girls Coalition.
- I'd be shamed if I didn't mention giving a gift card to Women & Children First. They have books for babies and for us older folks. My daughter loves this store.
- Magazines! New Moon, Teen Voices, and it's never to early to start them on Ms. FMF has a list of feminist magazines for young and old.
So there...You now have a boatload of ideas on what to give the empowered girl in your life. Maybe you still want to buy her Princess (fill in the blank), go ahead, who gets one present? But take a look at the list above and compliment that princess with some butt-kicking gear.
Crossposted from Chicago Parent