Illinois Feminista Voter Guide
It's that time again folks! And I have again put together some helpful tools to help you prepare for your visit to your polling place.
1) Where to vote? Check out "Where's My Fucking Polling Place?" Not only will it tell you where to fucking vote, but also who you can fucking vote for:
Since we're feministas here, I don't think I need to say who to vote for in the Governor's race, but I will point out great places to look for endorsements for the other races.
- Judges: I put this first because most people do not take the time to get through the whole ballot to vote on judges. I think mostly because we have no idea what to do! So hit up VoteforJudges to find out what the different Bar Associations (groups of lawyers & legal experts) think of each judge. Or you can skip right to the PDF'd summary of the judges. It is important to note that a judge running for retention must receive at least 60 percent of the vote in order to be retained.
- Interestedly VoteforJudges does not list Illinois Supreme Court Justice Lloyd Karmeier. Only those of you in Southern Illinois get to vote on him. You can read about the race at the Chicago Tribune. Page 5 [PDF] of the Illinois Bar Association ratings has their rating on him.
- Personal PAC has a list of endorsements
- The Better Government Association has a non-partisan comparison of the candidates for governor.
- IVIPO has a list of endorsements and a printable PDF sample ballot.
Not just people are on the ballot! But a lot of initiatives. I think that the Mujere's Latinas en Accion Guide is the one to print out and take into your polling place.
4) Wait? How will you remember all of this?
You can bring in a list of people and initiatives to vote for. You just cannot be wearing a QUINN FOR GOVERNOR button or anything that declares your vote to the public.
Do you have other voting resources feministas in Illinois should know about? Please leave them in the comments!
AND...take a photo of yourself after voting (NOT IN THE VOTING BOOTH!) and tag it #votefeminist and share it on your favorite social media channel!