Lately you can usually find me with a bag of color pencils or markers and a coloring book in my purse or work tote. I do not find the time to color every day, but I really should. When I am coloring, I am allowing my brain to take a break from the normal every day chaos and focus on staying in the lines, which color goes next and all that fun stuff.
I was fortunate to be contacted by the publicists for Outside the Lines and Outside the Lines, Too, two grown-up coloring books curated by Souris Hong. And I do mean curated as the art you are coloring is from a diverse group of artists.
Outside the Lines is a striking collection of illustrations from more than 100 creative masterminds, including animators, cartoonists, fine artists, graphic artists, illustrators, musicians, outsider artists, photographers, street artists, and video game artists.The other coloring books I have reviewed this year have been different types of mandalas. These two books are a different feel, but with the same result. I feel so much better while and after I color.
My life is hectic. From a full-time job to my freelance writing on top of being a mom, wife and friend, my plate is full. I hunch over my computer too much and don't move enough. But coloring is my type of meditation. It slows me down.
Both Outside the Lines and Outside the Lines, Too are thick books. You will not want to carry either of these with you during the day. BUT...Outside the Lines, Too added perforated pages so you can carefully tear out your page, tuck it into your padfolio and be on your way! Seriously, such a huge improvement.
And it wouldn't be a review of a coloring book if I did not have a giveway too!
GIVEAWAY DETAILSI have one copy of one of the books (up to the publisher) to giveaway. Sorry they will only ship to US addresses. Here's how to enter:
1) Leave a comment with your name & email. Tell me what your favorite coloring tool is.
2) Extra entry for an Instagram, Twitter or Facebook post of something you are coloring right now. Tag me or leave the link in the comments.
3) Extra entry for sharing this contest to your friends on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook. Tag me or leave the link in comments.
Deadline to enter is Saturday, November 27th at 9 pm Central Time.
Winner will be selected by Random.org!
Please purchase your copies of Outside the Lines and Outside the Lines, Too from Powells [too!] or Indiebound [too!] and support this site.
Disclaimer: I did receive a review copy of each book from a publicist.
I am trying to raise $1,000 for Bitch Media by December 31st. Please consider supporting this almost-20-year-old independent feminist media organization by:
- Simply donating $10 or $100.Whatever you can give will help!
- Subscribe! Right now subscriptions are 20% off AND you get a geeky pencil set.
- Gift a subscription! Perfect for your favorite feminist pop culture junkie!
- Join me in being a sustaining member of Bitch Media by giving a small amount every month.