Borrowed from kate:
1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
I allowed my online life to really merge with my work life. It was scary, hell it still is scary.
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
A co-worker had a son over the summer. Her older son is in high school, so it's been quite a change for her.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What places did you visit?
I spent a lot of time in NYC this year - four visits in four months! I also visited MIT for the WAM! conference, but no visits like a real tourist visit.
6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
Better control of my money. I've been bad at balancing my checking account for quite some time, but I finally started an excel spreadsheet and it's helping a lot. I also opened a savings account for my freelance work. All money stays in there until I need a plane ticket or something related to freelance. I'd also like to wait until I get a good chunk of money to chip off the old credit card debt.
7. What dates from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
September 2, 2008:: Our daughter started kindergarten and our entire world changed. The homework is intense since she's in an accelerated program. She also has a new set of friends and that means making new parent friends.
8. What was your biggest achievement(s) of the year?
Surviving kindergarten so far. This gifted program thing is not for the weak.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not applying for a Ph.D. program or taking the GRE. In some sense, I think it's worked out as I think I may want to wait for a new program that starts Fall 2010.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
If you count being addicted to my Treo, then yes.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My laptop, my hot pink suit jacket, and plane tickets to Seattle for February.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My dad's girlfriend. We're a handful and she's handled it all with grace as far as I can tell.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Those close to me can take a guess. It's something that can't be discussed publicly.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Mortgage, the kid, and credit card repayments.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The Cubs and as always they broke my heart.
16. What song will always remind you of 2008?
Um, I'm a music lame ass, I don't have one.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:a) happier or sadder? Happier...things are starting to click
b) thinner or fatter? Depends on the day! But about the same.
c) richer or poorer? About the same. Money comes in...money goes out.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Knitting, just hanging out with friends in a non-networking setting
20. How did you spend last year?
Woke up late, opened presents with my daughter & husband, went out to the 'burbs to see the in-laws & nephew, took an amazing nap, and then saw "Milk."
21. Did you fall in love in 2008?
22. How many one-night stands?
WTF kind of question is this? Even if I had one, would I tell? But the answer is none.
23. What was your favorite TV program?
The Rachel Maddow Show
24. What did you do for your birthday in 2008?
Went to a nice brunch, watched daughter have meltdown at restaurant, came home and chilled, recovered the day with mini-cake that Daughter picked out, opened Christmas & birthday presents with Cinnamon & Andrew.
25. What was the best book you read?
I have three favorites:
* Finding Iris Chang: I meant to write a review of this book, but never did. I think perhaps because there was so much to digest. It's much more than a biography of the late Iris Chang, but also a love letter from one friend to another.
* This Common Secret: It's amazing how much there is still to learn about a movement that I have been working in for so many years. It's not that I thought I know it all, but still to be bowled over by a book like this is amazing.
* Unmarketable: I truly appreciate the people in my life who challenge me and thus when one of them writes a book that does just that, I have to love it.
I have to say that one of the downfalls of reading so many books is that I have a habit of some of them going in and out my head. Then again, I read a lot of great books this year.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I can't think of any and no, I'm not claiming Taylor Swift.
27. What did you want and get?
I wanted a regular paid writing gig and I got two of them! Yes, be careful what you wish for!
28. What did you want and not get?
An acceptance to an anthology and a personal good-bye from a person who moved away instead of just an invite to the going away party. I deserved better than that.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Milk. Honorable mentions include The Dark Knight, Get Smart and Definitely, Maybe. Hey, I don't see too many movies!
30. Did you make some new friends this year?
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
If I had won a certain award that my coworkers & I would have HAD to travel to the White House to accept. Resubmission is coming thou!
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Embracing the dress shirt dress and suits.
33. What kept you sane?
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Just the presidential election
36. Who did you miss?
All my friends who don't live in Chicago.
37. Who was the best new person you met?
Alida...already covered that one.
That balance is a myth, all I can hope for is to get my work done, say no, and pray like hell that coffee works. And that I have the best friends a girl can hope for and I wish that I had grown up with them.